STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS
“Dammit, man! I’m a doctor, not a physicist!” – Bones McCoy.
In 2009 a new Star Trek film was released. (I’m sure you saw it.) Fans of the original Star Trek were instantly torn between loyalty for their original family or for the new guys. And I must say the new guys were a sight to behold.
Since then we have been waiting for the next film in this re-imagined franchise to be released, and this year (2013) our wait will be over.
“I like this ship! You know, it’s exciting!” – Scotty.
Since the announcement of the next film, the internet has become a breeding ground for rumours, half-baked ideas, conspiracies and a never ending multi-sided argument regarding the nature of the next film. Some of the rumours can be dismissed out of hand; and yet, others (in the list below) will make any Trekkie/Trekker dribble uncontrollably.
- Khan as the villain. Though most fans hope not, as Ricardo Maltoban was the defining Khan.
- Possible cameos of the original crew members. Most of them are dead, but they may just use old stock footage, think DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations.
- Two villains. As if Khan wouldn’t be enough, they are supposedly either adding a new villain, or bringing another one of the classics back.
- Kirk’s best friend, Gary Michell might be the villain, and might be played by Benedict Cumberbatch of the BBC show, Sherlock.
- Officials at the studio say that Khan shall not return. Though some see that as smoke and mirrors.
And these are just the tip of the dribbling iceberg. Regardless of who and what the villain is, most fans will agree that this film is going to be worth watching.
“Who was that pointy-eared bastard?” – Kirk.
As many of you will have no doubt heard, all the actors from the original film shall be returning, as well as a number of new faces: Benedict “Khan” “Gary Mitchell” “Unknown Villain” Cumberbatch is only one of the new faces. Heather Lagenkamp (Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)) will be joining the crew. Though I doubt Freddie will be coming with her.
Once again J.J Abrams (Friend of Foe to all. Depends on your loyalties) is directing this and the third (Yes, third!) Star Trek films. And writers, Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof have returned to write the script. (So essentially we can expect more of the same Star Trek brilliance.)
“We are traveling at warp speed. How did you manage to beam aboard this ship?” – Spock.
Whether you love it or loathe it (If it’s the latter, then why are you reading my articles?) Star Trek: Into Darkness (Called that, as they didn’t want to use a numbering system like the original films) will be one of the most anticipated films of the year. I do hope they bring Cake… and KHAN!
Check out http://www.startrekmovie.com/ in a few months.
17-05-2013: Is the day our world changes… forever!